Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Puerto Rican Rice and Beans

These recipes are from Angel and Naomi Colon. We LOVE these! I have never been able to make rice(unless it is instant) until Naomi told me her foolproof way. We ate this for dinner on Friday. The yellow pieces are potato.



Naomi's Rice

Olive oil--1 T
2 cups water
Bring to a boil and add:
1 cup rice
Boil off water without lid until little dry pockets form. Put lid on and cook on low(I turn my burner off) for 20 minutes stirring once. Perfect rice, every time!
Puerto Rican Beans

sofrito(Goya brand...can find jarred or frozen)
olive oil
onion, diced  About 1/4 c
garlic, minced
Goya Pink Beans-2 cans
8 oz tomato sauce
1 chicken bouillon cube(or 1 t)
Sazon--Goya Brand (it says Con culantrao y a chiote on the box)

In a pan, brown about 1 T olive oil, 1 T sofrito and 2 garlic cloves minced and onions. Add 2 cans beans, 4-8 oz tomato sauce, chicken bouilon and 1 packet sazon seasoning. Cook about 10 minutes.

Optional: Can add pieces of baked potatoe(1/2 of medium) and small pieces of ham.

We like the beans saucy so we add 8 oz of tomato sauce.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really looking forward to this. You didn't specify what kind of rice brand, how much onion (you even forgot to mention the onion in subsequent parts!) you even said to cook the rice with the burner off? How does it ever fully cook then?! Need a real PR recipe. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have amended the recipe. I have to turn my cooktop off since it cooks too fast and burns the rice. It still stays hot. Every cook top is different. I sure hope you will give this recipe a try before ruling it out. It works EVERY time.

      Delete
  4. I just made this and this is so good! I did this with baked potato cut up in it, and I made homemade sofrito. This is delish! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilsnobelle, so glad you tried this and liked it! It is a favorite around here.

    ReplyDelete