Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Garlic Dill Pickles or Beans

I took a favorite pickle recipe and tried to pickle beans. The result was better than we could have imagined. The pickles turn soggy after a while, but the beans are crisp even after 3 years!

Garlic Dill Pickles or Beans

3 c sugar
2 c water
1 1/2 c vinegar
2 T salt(canning salt)

Boil this together until sugar is dissolved. Slice
pickles --don't peel. Soak pickles in salty water for
1 hour.(I don't soak the beans).

Put 1 head of dill and 1 garlic clove in the bottom of
a qt jar or pint jar. Add pickles or whole beans(with
both ends snapped off). Fill with hot brine mixture.
Put hot lids and rings on jars. Put in water bath and
bring just to a boil. Take jars out and enjoy!

***Beth's notes. I find using pint jars is easiest
with the beans. They seem to fit just right in there.
My notes say that I doubled the brine recipe and got
9 pints.

2 comments:

  1. We call them Dilly Beans here - love them! They are great in pasta salads too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pickles today--6-19-2012 and used 1 tsp of dill weed in place of the dill.

    ReplyDelete