Thursday, December 23, 2010

Onion and Pepper Relish

I found this recipe and knew I had to make it. My mom had 'treated us' to Harry and David's Onion and Pepper Relish last year when they came down. This is AS good, if not better. I got 20 jelly jars out of this recipe. It was simple to put together--I used the food processor to chop all the veggies. Serve it over a block of cream cheese as an easy appetizer.

Onion and Pepper Relish

5 - 14.5 oz. cans chopped tomatoes (drained)
6 bell peppers (seeds and ribs removed) (I used two each of red, yellow and green)
6 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons salt
1 - 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
6 jalapeno peppers with seeds and ribs removed
3 medium onions
2 cups white vinegar
2 small boxes powered pectin (1.75 oz)
Chop all vegetables. To make this quicker I used a food processor.

Mix everything together, except the pectin, in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour. Add in the pectin and boil for 1 minute.

Pour relish into hot sterilized half pint jars, leaving about 1/2 inch head room.

Place lids and rings on jars. Process jars by placing them in a large pot of water. Water level should be an inch over jars. Boil for 15 minutes. Carefully remove jars from water and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment