Saturday, January 22, 2011

AMISH SWEET BREAD

I don't remember where I found this on the internet, but I am SO glad I found it. This is very good bread and makes great toast and grilled cheese sandwiches!

AMISH SWEET BREAD

2 c warm water (110 degrees F)
2/3 c sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp dry active yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
¼ c oil
6 c flour

Mix warm water, sugar, and yeast to bowl- allow to "proof" or rest for about 10 minutes (it will be frothy) Add in salt, oil, and 3 c flour and mix well.

Add flour one cup at a time-dough will be a nice ball with a soft velvety touch.
Knead by hand for 8-10 minutes or 1-2 minutes with the Kitchen Aid.

Allow bread to rise covered, free from draft until doubled in size. (about an hour)
Punch down and briefly knead by hand (30-45 seconds).

Divide into 2 equal parts, place in well-greased loaf pans.

Loosely cover and allow to rise for an additional 30 minutes.

Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for approx 30 minutes (it will be golden on the top-kind of like a loaf of traditional packaged white bread).

4 comments:

  1. Okay, that looks and sounds wonderful. Think I'll make some to go with our stew tonight.

    LOL - the word verification is "blest"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very similar to the bread we used to bake every week while I was growing up.

    It is delicious! Especially fresh and warm from the oven with homemade butter melting into thick slices. Just thinking about that makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my bread recipe in a move across the country. This recipe turned up in my search engine and wow, am I glad it did! The flavor and texture are every bit as good as my old recipe. The bonus- it is faster and easier. How great is that?! Thank you for sharing. By the way, I am from LA (Gulf Shores, AL). Living in West Texas now, but sites like this keep me from being too homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked this recipe and it worked for you! There is nothing like home made bread!

    ReplyDelete