Monday, March 14, 2011

Chunky Egg Salad

Was looking for a 'real' recipe for egg salad, since I usually just use mayo, onion and celery. Don LOVES egg salad and I rarely make it since my hard boiled eggs are always so hard to peel. This turned out very good and I only mutilated 1 egg while peeling! Oh, I only used 10 eggs for this, since that was all I boiled.

Chunky Egg Salad
Adapted From Food Network Kitchens

1/2 medium red onion, chopped (I used a sweet onion)
12 large eggs
1 stalk celery (with leaves), chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (Beth used 1 T dried dill weed)
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons kosher salt (after reading reviews, I used half of this)
Freshly ground black pepper
Serving suggestions: 8 slices country-style sourdough bread, sliced tomatoes, or salad greens

Use your favorite method to hard boil your eggs(Beth used my 25 year old Betty Crocker cookbook recipe----put eggs in cold water, bring to a hard boil, turn off heat, cover eggs and let sit for 22 minutes. Rinse under cold water and peel)

In a large bowl, mix together the onion, celery, mayonnaise, dill, mustard, lemon juice, and salt.

Add the eggs to the mayonnaise mixture and gently mix them together. Season with pepper to taste. Use in sandwiches, with lettuce and tomatoes, or in a salad.

4 comments:

  1. Yum ... I love dill with hardboiled eggs! I use it in my deviled eggs.

    Here's my trick with hardboiled eggs that allows me to peel them without problems (it was my grandmother's trick) ... boil eggs for 12 mins; remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 25 min; rinse with cold water until eggs feel cool; and peel (or refrigerate). This always works for me, but ocassionally have a hard to peel egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMmmmmm MMMmmmm Yammi food its really tasty.


    Travel Links

    ReplyDelete
  3. its really tasty food ...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete