Monday, June 13, 2011

Oven Smoked Brisket "Granny's Recipe"

If y'all from TX like Rudy's BBQ, this is THE closest brisket recipe I have found to Rudy's. You know by now that I LOVE my crockpot, so this went into the crockpot after marinating. I made this when my parents were here---and used a 4 lb brisket, so used half the recipe. LOVED this and it was great reheated!

Oven Smoked Brisket "Granny's Recipe"
allaboutkaylittle.blogspot.com

7-11 lb. brisket, untrimmed (Beth uses a 5-6# brisket)
1-2 bottles liquid smoke  Beth uses 4 oz
1 tablespoon salt
4-6 tablespoons McCormick Montreal Grill Mate Steak Seasoning

Trim brisket of excessive fat, but leave a nice layer for a wonderful flavor. Place brisket in a large roasting pan or in a ex large Ziploc bag. Pour liquid smoke over brisket and seal tightly. Place in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight.
*****
Remove brisket from the refrigerator and let set for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Season brisket with salt and sprinkle Grill Mate Steak Seasoning on top of the fat side covering all the way to the edges. Place brisket fat side up on a rack inside of a roaster pan and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 3 1/2 to 8 hours depending on the size. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing. Serve with barbecue sauce.
*****
Beth put this in the crockpot for 8-10 hours on low.  We did NOT need bbq sauce!

Note: Cook brisket 30-45 minutes times per the pound of the brisket. 7 lb. brisket will cook for 3 1/2 hours to 5 1/2 hours. At the end of the resting time, you can slice the brisket and put it back in a baking dish and pour barbecue sauce over it and bake an additional 30-40 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Beth:
    I'm going to try this in the oven instead. Your recipe calls for 1-2 bottles liquid smoke. 1-2 bottles? Isn't this a lot of liquid smoke? Please confirm. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use 1 bottle and there was plenty if smoke flavor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. What flavor of liquid smoke?

      Delete
    3. I guess that is your preference. When I first started making this, I didn't realize there were different flavors. I have mesquite in my cupboard now

      Hope that helps.
      Beth

      Delete
  3. saw this recipe on Facebook but no credit was given to you and I wanted more details, thank goodness I finally found this blog :D I usually don't care for much of the smoke flavor so I'm going to try less, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really very interesting and very valuable information about the Smoke a Brisket nice work.



    Easy Brisket Recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting and informative blog about the food I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.

    Fusion kitchen

    ReplyDelete