Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Condensed French Onion Soup Substitute

I wanted to make a recipe that called for French onion soup in a can. I had it on my shopping list and the store was out. I went looking on the web and found this recipe. Jenna made it and the house smelled WONDERFUL! We will make this again---as it is much cheaper than buying it. We did use the cheese powder since we had it.
Condensed French Onion Soup Substitute
cookinwithsuperpickle.blogspot.com

1 small onion(about 1/2 cup chopped)
1 TB olive oil
1 TB Molasses

2 beef boullion cubes
3/4 cup boiling water

2 TB cornstarch
1/4 cup COLD water

Dissolve bouillon  cubes in boiling water
Add broth to onions

In a medium sauce pan heat oil and molasses over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft and sticky.

Dissolve cornstarch in cold water
Add to onion mixture

Season with salt and pepper to taste

Recommended 1 TB dried cheddar cheese powder if available! (this is an ingredient in the store version, but IMO it does not really make or break the soup, it does, however, give it a certain "something")

Bring it all to a boil and stir until thickened.

3 comments:

  1. I needed a french onion soup substitute for Salisbury steak. I had everything but the beef bullion cubes, which I substituted for chicken stock. It didn't come out as rich as I wanted it, but it was a great substitute for my Salisbury steak recipe. I just ended up spicing it up more with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, Mrs. Dash, Soy sauce, and chili powder. Came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if this is lower sodium than the canned variety?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure but would think so. Not sure if you can get low sodium boil lion cubes or not

    ReplyDelete