Monday, September 5, 2011

Cream of Cilantro Soup

This was on the back page of the food section in the paper not long ago. I KNEW my girls would love it and I was right. It was very good and we will make it again for sure!
Cream of Cilantro Soup
Austin American Statesman (Elaine's Table)

1 stick butter
1 cup chopped cilantro, divided (We used about 1/2 cup because that's all we had)
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped (We used celery flakes)
1 TBSP cumin powder
1 TBSP chopped garlic
1/2 cup flour
7 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream (We used milk and thickened the soup with flour and water)
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, grated
1 lime, juiced (We used zest, too)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in soup pot.  Add 1/2 cup of the chopped cilantro, the onion, celery, cumin and garlic. 
Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.  Stir in the flour and cook over medium heat until mixture is golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken broth slowly, stirring rapidly until blended.  Bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.  Stir in the cream and cook 5 minutes more.  Strain mixture and discard the vegetables (We just pureed with a hand blender) Add gated cheese, lime juice and zest, and remaining cilantro.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds (and looks) delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO good. Try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this last night and it was totally worth the effort (took me a few hours to prep). I also added a chili pepper for a little bit of heat. I'm really glad I came across your recipe as I really like cilantro. Will probably be trying out some other recipes you have on your blog. Thanks Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Beth, I found you looking for Blue Bonnet Cafe soup recipes. I pinned this recipe as well as the Cream of Green Chile Soup. I love soup and can't wait to try both recipes. I visit Georgetown often and love Marble Falls too. So glad I found your blog I will be following you for more great recipes. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete