Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat Bread Copycat

This is a TRUE copycat recipe. I think it tastes JUST like the real thing. If you do not have whole wheat flour in your house, go get it NOW and try this recipe. This bread is so easy to put together--I used my kitchen aid mixer and did have to use at least 4 cups of whole wheat flour. I added in 1/2 c oats. We all LOVED this bread.

Great Harvest Honey Whole Wheat Bread Copycat

1 1/2 Tb. instant yeast
2 c. warm water
1/3 c. honey
3 - 4 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 - 1/2 c. any add-ins (oats, sunflower seeds,
ground flax seeds, etc.)

Combine yeast, water and honey; let sit for 5 minutes or until frothy and bubbly. Add salt, add-ins and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until you get a soft dough. The dough should barely pull away from the sides of the bowl and it will still be a little sticky. Knead for 4 minutes on low, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and shape into a large loaf (spray hands with cooking spray). Put in a greased loaf pan and let rise again until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*If you use freshly ground wheat flour, you might need to add more like 5- 5 1/2 cups of flour.

Jenn's Notes: This bread is delicious. I think it tastes best when made in my mixer, but I have also tried it in the bread machine and it will work, but it will be a little more chewy. I usually add 1/2 cup oats and sometimes I will add a few tablespoons of sunflower seeds. This makes one large loaf.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Beth, I just found this and I am so glad you liked it. I was searching for a Great Harvest Cinnamon Roll recipe. Have you ever had their cinnamon rolls? I think they are the best ever. Thanks for the link back to the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that recipe, as well. I have become fully allergic to milk, so even if I had a GH bakery nearby, I can't eat their cinnamon rolls, anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long does it take for the first rise?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, about one hour. I usually turn the light in in my oven and let it rise in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I simply multiply by 10 if I wanted to make a large batch with a large mixure? 15 TB of yeast sounds like a lot if I do

    ReplyDelete