French Onion Burger Of Wonder
Yield: 8 burgers
Recipe from the wonderful Erin Jepsen, inspired by Rachel Ray
3 large yellow onions
4 T butter
1 C water
2 beef bullion cubes
1/2 C sour cream
2 pounds ground beef
2 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
1 t Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
8 hamburger buns
8 slices cheese (Swiss or American work well)
potato chips (regular or ruffled work great)
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
1. Thinly slice your onions.
2. In a large saute pan melt your butter over medium high heat.
3. Add your onions to the pan and stir them around a bit so that the butter can be distributed throughout.
4. Cover the pan, with the lid placed at an angle so that some of the steam can escape. Stir the onions every few minutes while they continue to cook.You are looking for a nice golden color to appear. Plan on them cooking for about 15 minutes.
5. While your onions cook toss your ground beef into a large bowl. Pour both packages of Onion Soup Mix over the beef.
6. Shake a little Worcestershire sauce into the bowl.
7. Crack a couple of eggs into the beef and sprinkle in a bit of salt and pepper.
8. Stick your hands right into the meat and mix it up thoroughly. Form 8 beef patties, fire up your grill and cook them to your liking.
9. While your beef is grilling, mix the water and bullion together and pour it over your golden onions.
Turn up the heat to high and let the onions simmer in the liquid until most of it has been cooked out...remove the pan from the heat.
10. Stir in the sour cream. Mix until combined.
11. When your burgers are almost done grilling place the cheese on top to melt.
12. Build your burger! Bun, mayo, BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, pickle, chips (just do it, it makes all the difference....) and beef. Don't forget the beef.