Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts(and other fillings)

I don't know what took me so long to make these. I saw this recipe a few years ago and didn't make these until the day before I was sending the girls a care package(hey, they LOVE homemade goodies and I love to spoil them)I made some with strawberry jam, some with Nutella and marshmallow creme and some I spread a thick layer of butter and then sprinkled cinnamon and sugar. The filling possibilities are endless....chocolate chips, peanut butter....hmmmmm I have another box of pie crusts.... I made some large and some bite sized. We all liked these.

Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts(and other fillings)

Pie crust, refrigerated or homemade (see below)

Jam or Preserves

Nutella and marshmallow crème/filling
 
Cinnamon and Sugar

Glaze or Egg Wash

Sparkling Sugar/jimmies

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. Cut into rectangles. Place 1 tsp of jam in the center of a rectangle and top with another piece of crust. Crimp all four edges. Repeat until all of the pie crust is used. (Beth also used nutella with marshmallow creme for some and butter and cinnamon and sugar for others)

Bake the pop-tarts for about 7 – 8 minutes or until slightly brown. Once cool, pour glaze over and decorate with sugar. If you don’t want to add extra sugar with the glaze, you can use an egg wash on the tops with some white sugar.   Once cooled, pour glaze on to Pop-tart and decorate with sparkling sugar.

To Make the Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar

milk to thin

Place powdered sugar in bowl. Pour milk slowly until it has a consistency of really thick syrup.

2 comments:

  1. I love cinnamon Pop-Tarts! I will have to try these. Is 1 tsp of filling enough or is that for the bit-sized pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One tsp is enough. If you like more, it wouldn't be a problem. I experimented!

    ReplyDelete