Thursday, May 16, 2013

Caramel Cereal Treats

While 'reading' my new cookie cookbook that my friend Janet gave me(yes, I READ cookbooks like I read a novel....it's a sickness, I think)I stumbled upon this recipe. My school secretary LOVES Sugar Smacks cereal, so I knew I would make these and take to school. They are easy to make and everyone liked them.

Caramel Cereal Treats
adapted from Taste of Home cookies cookbook

8 cups Sugar Smacks cereal
13/4 cups dry roasted peanuts
1 package (14 ounces) caramels
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups milk chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine cereal and peanuts; set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels, milk and butter.
 
Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
 
Pour over cereal mixture; stir to coat. With greased hands, pat
mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan.
 
In a microwave, melt chips stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over bars. Let stand until set. Cut into bars. Yield:  3-1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment