Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate

I have been on a Chai Tea kick for a few years--meaning at least 2 large mugs a day!  I saw this and knew I would love it.  I tripled the recipe and used my 7 quart crockpot.  I omitted the honey, since I use a sugar free vanilla syrup to sweeten my tea.  The picture is 1 quart and 1 half gallon.
Homemade Chai Tea Concentrate
http://foxywholefoodie.wordpress.com

Makes approximately 4 cups.

- 8 slices of peeled ginger*Beth used very thin slices
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup honey Beth omitted this
- 4 cups water
- 6 black tea bags


*When I buy ginger, I peel the entire thing and place it in a ziplock bag in the freezer to keep it fresh. Then, it’s easy to grate or slice up for recipes.

Place all ingredients except for the tea bags in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours. Add the tea bags and steep for 10 minutes.

Strain out the solids with a fine mesh sieve or colander lined with cheese cloth.

Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.

To make hot tea, mix equal parts concentrate with hot water. For an Iced Tea Latte, mix one part concentrate to two parts milk (hot or cold) of your choice. You can adjust the ratio to your tastes.

1 comment:

  1. I made your Chai Tea Concentrate today. It is delicious! I didn't add any honey either since I don't care for sweet tea. I'm glad that I doubled the recipe.

    ReplyDelete