Apple Sheet Cake with Salted Caramel Frosting
Apple Sheet Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
2 cups peeled grated apples (about 3-4 medium apples)
Salted Caramel Frosting
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/3 cup half and half Beth used whipping cream
Pinch of cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon fleur de sel or coarse salt
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and lightly dust with flour a 11" x 17" jelly roll pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and set aside.
3. In a large bowl using an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time mixing after each addition followed by vanilla extract and milk. Stir in grated apples. Gradually add in flour mixture until blended.
4. Spread batter evenly on prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 16-20 minutes until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
5. Cool completely.
6. In a medium saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, half and half, and cream of tartar over medium heat stirring occasionally until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and stir frequently for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Let cool.
7. Add cooled caramel, reserving 1 tablespoon in a large bowl along with about one cup of confectioners sugar. Stir using an electric mixer medium speed until confectioners sugar is combined. Continue to add in confectioners sugar in about one cup at at time. Stir in milk until creamy.
8. Spread frosting on cooled cake. Drizzle with reserved caramel.
9. Serve with an additional sprinkle of fleur de sel (optional).