Sourdough Lemon CakeAdapted from http://rockfarmer.me
1 cup of sourdough starter ready for a feeding
1 1/4 cup milk, any kind or the same amount of citrus juice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sweetener of your choice
1 cup oil or melted butter
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons natural lemon extract
1 1/2 teaspoons natural orange extract
1 teaspoon sea salt, finely ground
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup eggs : 2 large grocery store eggs
fresh zest from 1 lemon
1. Combine the sourdough starter, milk or juice, and flour in a large bowl, stirring everything gently but firmly to mix it all into a relatively smooth mass. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and set it aside to rest. If you’re in a rush, set it in a warm place for at least two hours; if you’re planning ahead, do this just before you go to bed, set it aside in a cool spot, and make time to finish the cake the next morning.
2. Once your starter-milk-flour mixture is bubbling and looking lively, it’s time for the next step: Preheat your oven to 350 F and grease or line with parchment at 9″x13″ pan. Beth used a Bundt cake pan
3. In a clean bowl, blend sugar, oil/butter, extracts, salt, and baking soda together. You can do this by hand with a whisk or spoon, or use an electric hand mixer.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition to create a smooth batter.
5. Stir in the fresh zest – Do this part by hand with a spoon, as the zest will just wrap itself around the beaters on an electric hand mixer.
6. Now it’s time to gently stir the sugar and oil mixture into the starter mixture. At first, this will look like a culinary train wreck. Keep at it and eventually the two will become one. Gentle strokes of a spoon and persistence will make for a lovely smooth batter.
7. Pour the finished batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes,(Bundt pan = 1hour) or until the center springs back under a light touch from your finger and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Set the hot cake on a wire rack and spoon the Lemon Glaze over it while it’s still hot. It will stay fresh for a few days in the pan, covered and kept at room temperature.
1-2 c powdered sugar
1-2 T lemon juice
Mix together to the consistency you like and drizzle over cake.