Lemon Drop Sugar Cookie Bars
3/4 cup butter (12 tablespoons), softened to room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest (from 1 large lemon or so)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Lemon Drop Glaze:
6 ounces lemon drop candies, crushed
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or milk (see note)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract and mix for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
3. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Press and/or spread the sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer into the bottom of the pan.
4. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Don't overbake!
5. For the glaze, whisk all the ingredients together (use less lemon juice for a thicker glaze/more for a thinner glaze). I used my blender to crush the lemon drops, then just added the powdered sugar and lemon juice and pulsed a couple times until combined.
6. Pour the glaze over the slightly warm or cooled bars.