This is by far the BEST sweet and sour chicken I have ever made. We all loved it. We used 2 chicken breasts from Sams(can you say HUGE)and it filled a 9x13 pan. We all LOVED this recipe.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pineapple and Peppers
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 ½ pounds), cut in bite-size pieces
½ cup flour
1⅓ cup cornstarch
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ginger powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
Sweet and Sour Sauce
½ cup pineapple juice (from 20 oz. pineapple tidbits can below)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons ketchup (6 tablespoons)
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon ginger powder
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced as THIN as possible (2-3 carrots)
**Beth's addition: 1 large onion , chopped large
1. Add "Sweet and Sour Sauce" ingredients to a medium/large saucepan, stir and bring to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer. Allow to simmer while you prepare the chicken and dice the vegetables, stirring occasionally (turn off if longer than 20 minutes). Note, the sauce will not thicken, simmering is to soften the onions and blend flavors.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Whisk eggs together in a large bowl, set aside. Add ½ cup flour to a large freezer bag; set aside next to eggs. Whisk cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ginger powder and onion powder in medium bowl; set aside next to flour.
4. Add chicken to eggs and coat, then remove, allowing excess to drip off, then add to freezer bag with flour. Toss until evenly coated then discard any extra flour. Add cornstarch/spices to the chicken in the freezer bag and shake until evenly coated.
5. Over high heat, heat enough oil (any kind) to generously cover the bottom of a large skillet until hot and rippling. Add chicken and cook 1-2 minutes per side, or until browned but not cooked through. (You may need to cook in 2 batches depending on size of your skillet). Transfer chicken to prepared 9x13 baking dish.
6. Add carrots pineapple, peppers and onions to the sweet and sauce and mix until well combined. Pour sauce over chicken and stir until sauce/chicken/vegetables are evenly combined. Cook, uncovered for 50 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve over rice. Enjoy!