These were quick and easy to make. This was my second dessert I made to take to a ladies dinner.....the first dessert looked great while baking and then deflated. I forgot to add the eggs! Thankfully I don't have too many cooking disasters and these bars were delicious!
2½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons sour cream OR plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup butter
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
½ teaspoon peppermint extract (OR vanilla extract)
¼ cup finely crushed candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil and lightly grease the foil.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl cream butter until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Add sugars and mix until combined. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually mix flour mixture into wet ingredients and continue to mix until the dough comes together and not crumbly.
4. Gently press dough into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 18-22 minutes until golden and the top no longer appears "wet". Allow to cool completely.
5. When the bars have cooled, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl whip butter for 2-3 minutes (no less!) until very fluffy. Add cream cheese and mix well. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until completely combined. Mix in peppermint extract. Spread frosting over cooled bars. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Cut into squares or triangles and serve. Store in airtight container.