Thursday, March 10, 2016

Skinny Crock Pot Apple Butter

A few weeks ago, I used up all the apples I brought back from my parents orchard at Christmas time.  I filled up two crockpots with apples and doubled this recipe.  I canned over 21 half pints.  I used Splenda brown sugar blend--about 1/2 cup total.  It really is to your taste. My changes to the original recipe are in bold. YUM!
Skinny Crock Pot Apple Butter
greatly adapted from http://www.teacher-chef.com

Apples - peeled and rough chopped, enough to fill your crockpot
3 cinnamon sticks
1 t freshly grated nutmeg
1 t ground cloves Beth added more
2 T cinnamon(added after removing cinnamon sticks 1 hour before canning)
1 - 2 cups apple cider or water
sugar to taste (optional) Beth used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
Put all ingredients into the crock pot and turn on low for about 8-10 hours hours.
Remove the cinnamon sticks - if you used a more tart apple, add sugar (1/4 cup at a time) to taste.
For the last 2 hours or so: prop the lid of the crock pot and let the extra moisture continues to evaporate until you get the desired texture.

Place into jars. Can in hot water bath--1/2 pints for 10 minutes.  Can freeze or refrigerate, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment