I found this recipe a while ago and since it has been so hot here, I wanted to use my slow cooker. I really liked this. See my changes in bold. The chicken went great on a cobb salad the next day.
Slow Cooker Paleo Jerk Chickenhttp://paleomagazine.com
5 drumsticks and 5 wings (or you can use a whole chicken or 5 chicken breasts)We used 2 bone in thighs and 2 large breasts
4 teaspoons of salt
4 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons of onion powder
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of white pepper We didn't use this
2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoons of black pepper We use 2 t
1. Mix all the spices together in a bowl to make a rub for the chicken. If you don’t want your chicken to be spicy, then leave out the cayenne pepper and instead add in more onion powder, but note that the paprika will still make it slightly spicy.
2. Wash the chicken meat in cold water briefly. Place the washed chicken meat into the bowl with the rub, and rub the spices onto the meat thoroughly – try to get it under the chicken skin if you can. The wings and drumsticks work well here because you can rub the spices under the skin easily.
3. Place each piece of chicken covered with the spices into the slow cooker (no liquid required).
4. Set the slow-cooker on medium or low heat (325F if your slow cooker has a temperature controller), and cook for 5-6 hours or until the chicken meat falls off the bone (slow cooker times can vary dramatically).
5. You can serve the chicken with the bone on or take the bones out since the meat falls off so easily.