Friday, October 23, 2009

Honey Oatmeal Bread

This is from an Amish cookbook I have. This recipe makes 8 loaves, so I make half the recipe. I made this when I had Don's folks over last Friday. I sent a loaf home with them and they loved it as toast.

Honey Oatmeal Bread
Mrs. Mervin(Emma ) Yoder

5 c water
4 c oatmeal
½ c yeast
2 c lukewarm water
2 T sugar
2 c honey
1 ½ c vegetable oil
¼ c salt
8 eggs
4 cups whole wheat flour
18 c white flour, more if needed

Bring 5 c water to a boil; add oatmeal. Cool slightly. Dissolve yeast in 2 c lukewarm water and sugar. Mix together with remaining ingredients for 10 min. Let rise; punch down. Let rise again. Put in pans. Makes 8 loaves. Bake at 325-350 for 45 min to 1 hour.

Beth’s notes: I halve the recipe. This is from an Amish cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment