Sunday, December 23, 2012

Black Bean and Rice Soup

I have had this recipe for years and have never tried it until a week ago. I don't know why I waited so long. It was EXCELLENT! It makes a big pot. I did make it on the stove since I didn't think ahead. I cooked it about 1 hour total. I will sure make this again--and SOON!

Black Bean and Rice Soup

Makes approximately 12 1-cup servings


1 pound lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
3 cans of chicken broth (14.5 oz. each)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.), undrained
1/3 of 8 oz. package of shredded/matchstick carrots
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp basil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
2 cans black beans (15 oz. each), drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked rice


In a skillet, cook ground beef, drain and transfer to crock pot. Add the next 12 ingredients to the crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low: cook for 4-5 hours until vegetables are tender. Add the beans and rice: cook 1 hour longer or until heated through. Serve and enjoy!


NOTES: (original poster)
- This recipe uses a crock pot, but I cooked it in a soup pot on the stove, and it worked just fine. I just reduced my cooking time.
- This is a fairly sturdy soup, so if you like your soup more brothy, you may want to add more chicken broth.
- I added an extra clove of garlic, because I like it that way! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment